16 January, 2015

Friday Favourites - Silk Thread


Okay, so it isn't exactly breaking news. But silk thread for appliqué? Oh my word, this stuff is awesome.

We know that I have the full on appliqué addiction. I started another new project for appliqué this week (In my defence, it is a class sample for a hand appliqué class I'll be teaching.) So I pulled out the thread Carolyn sent me for Christmas. I figured that if she recommended it and I was addicted to her patterns as much as I am that I should try it.

Life changing. I was using Aurifil 60W before, so not exactly bad thread. But that's like comparing a glass of clear, filtered water to drinking water as it drips from a glacier. Or a fantastic bar of Ghiradelli chocolate, then a chocolate piece right from a swiss chocolatier's hand. Both wonderful, both without any reason to complain. But one is clearly better than the other for the task at hand, whether that be refreshment, pleasure, or hand appliqué.

If you are interested in learning appliqué yourself and are local or close to Calgary, check out the schedule at My Sewing Room. And make sure you are all subscribed to the newsletter for all sorts of events, announcements, and extra bits.

7 comments:

elle said...

Silk thread is the BEST! Seriously changed my applique when I tried it years ago! LUV!!!!

Anonymous said...

Do you think silk thread would make a difference to someone who is gets really frustrated with appliqué? Thanks!

Nancy said...

Good advice and I thought Aurifil was a HUGE step up from the other run of the mill stuff!

stufenzumgericht said...

Dear Cheryl,
I'm not so common with hand-applique because it doesn't work quick!But for sure, the results of hand applique often are stunning, in fact, you can't compare it with machine appliques. This is what I just did with one of your patterns from your book 'Sunday Morning Quilts' and posted about it on my blog. Kind regards, Martina

Cheryl Arkison said...

Pam, yes, it makes a huge difference. If you don't want the expense of silk, however, you can get good results if you wax or condition your cotton thread. Going for a finer weight (at least a 50W or even a 60W) can also make a difference.

Anonymous said...

YLI Silk Thread is the BEST. I purchase lots of thread in various colors whenever I am in Japan. Nothing compares to the best.
Apologies no blog.

Mary Ellen said...

Silk thread immediately improves your applique! Also check out Kimono 100 wt. silk thread by Superior Threads. More colors in case you can't find the right one with YLI.