09 January, 2014

Alturas Applique


With all due credit to Carolyn Friedlander and Sarah Fielke I must admit to a new addition: hand appliqué. Okay, so it is only in the early stages, but boy do I like it.

Yes, I have a hand quilting project on the go. And a hand piecing project (which I'm really going to wrap up as soon as I can find the first chunk of sewing I did). But over the winter break neither of these were getting me all that excited. I was looking for something to keep me busy as I kept Hubby company at the end of the day while he watched endless episodes of Top Gear and Patrick Dempsy: Le Mans.

You know my aversion to patterns, but I didn't have the brain power to be creative in this instance. Besides, I had Carolyn's appliqué patterns and they are just so cool. So I decided to keep it simple and go with the block based pattern Alturas. Fuel to the addiction for sure.

That being said, I'm not sure I have it in me to make a full size quilt of hand appliquéd blocks. Right now I am committing to nine of them and then we'll see what happens.



4 comments:

mjb said...

You've chosen a beautiful color combination!

carolyn said...

I'm loving these and so excited to see you catching the hand applique bug!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I love the black/navy fabric with the white flower stems. Which fabric is it?

Emily Carnes said...

Yay for hand sewing!! With all the machine quilting techniques out there now, I'm beginning to think that hand sewing is so old fashioned it is fresh again. Hah!