18 December, 2013

Never Gets Old


One would think that after writing the book and making the quilts, after all the Just One Slab blocks, after teaching the class almost a dozen times this year, that after all that I would be tired of making slabs. Nope, not at all.

Perhaps slabs are my default sewing? When in doubt make a slab!

Actually, that is a lesson I teach my students. That once you have the basic technique down it is perfect for when you just need to sew something, anything. If the fabric is there then there is no prep work needed. If you only have a few minutes you can work up a block without even thinking. If the day sucked and your brain hurts you can still sew and not stress about perfection.

Then there are the possibilities! Slabs as blocks, as fabric for making other blocks and more blocks, as background, as the whole quilt... I feel it is impossible to get burnt out on the technique or the possibilities. Maybe you are tired of seeing slabs from me? If you are, then oh well, because I will keep making them.


That mess up there in the top photo? That's what happens when a toddler who has to get into EVERYTHING finds your scrap baskets (also made from slabs) and you let him go to town because it gets you ten minutes of writing. What can I say, though, the boy has good taste. The mess sat there for a few days, taunting me with all the lovely colours. I was head down on a deadline but finally couldn't resist. I figured that if I randomly grabbed fabric and used them as leaders and enders I wasn't technically starting anything new. Whatever we have to tell ourselves.

Pink, orange, yellow, and grey. So loverly and so many possibilities.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I love slabs. I now use them as my leaders and enders. I use to do 2" squares, but then I would have to worry about them matching and what pattern I was doing. The slabs mean I can be somewhat mindless about it and at the end I have something I can use.

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still kind of afraid of slabs but by seeing so many of them on your blog and Amanda Jean's, I'm getting braver.

Luz2Quilt said...

I am new to your blog and the term "slab". What is a slab?

Arita said...

I love slabs too. Just made 30 Grey ones and I could have kept on going.

MariQuilts said...

I really should make me a slab one of these days.

Gramma Quilter said...

I so love slabs too. My bucket of "strings" is growing. I also just finished a "sunday morning" quilt in reds for christmas. Love your designs!

Cathy said...

I have just finished a slab quilt as a thank you/leaving gift. It was such fun to do. The back was based on the 'Grass' quilt in Sunday Morning quilts, but the colour of the sashing matched the blocks on the front. Thanks for the inspiration!