19 May, 2011

Heartening

Heartening
72'' by 72''

A few weeks ago my sister turned 40! To mark the occasion my sister-in-law and I (she's also a quilter) decided to make her a quilt. Everyone deserves a quilt on such a momentous birthday. This is the result of some late nights filled with cider and crass humour. Oh, and some love too.

It was an easy quilt to put together. We used the Chopsticks method. I love taking a pretty modern design idea but using it with unexpected fabrics. The softer quality to these greens and neutrals would usually be seen on a more traditional quilt. With this design, though, they are totally different. We chose the colours to coordinate with my sister's house.

The quilting was done entirely with a walking foot. Yes, a walking foot made all those curves. They are such gradual curves that you can easily do it without dropping the feed dogs. I really wanted some curves to contrast the sharp lines of the quilt top. And even though I confident with my free motion work, I needed something that I knew wouldn't provide me with a single challenge considering the timing of when I was quilting this. One little tension issue and I would have lost it.

The back was pieced from fabrics I had in my stash. A few yard cuts and some fat quarters. Fabric I bought and loved but still hadn't used. The pops of blue work because a few of the greens on the front have some bluer tones. Besides, all those neutrals were getting to me, I wanted to more colour!

Here is my brother putting on the label. He hates this picture because he says his hands look old. I hate to point it out to him that he is.. ahem, older than my sister. I love it because here are the surgeon's hands sewing. Meticulous and caring, perfect for a surgeon and an older brother.

Just a simple striped binding. It has all the colours of the quilt. It was a lucky find as I was picking up the batting I saw it by the till. I didn't actually have the quilt with me, but I was pretty sure it would work. It was perfect - the right colours but soft enough not to overpower the quilt itself.

We gave it to my sister the weekend we were cutting down a pile of trees at my Mom's house. I couldn't help but snap a photo with some wood. Aside from the trees there is a lot of wood that my Dad gathered over the years. It comes with the territory when you work in construction.

And here is my sister celebrating with her quilt. I hope it is giving her plenty of comfort. I bet she and her son are already spending some good time snuggling.

Happy Birthday Jan!
This quilt is a part of the Bloggers' Quilt Festival.

Amy's Creative Side

22 comments:

mjb said...

I like how it turned out!

Rossie said...

very nice! love the colors.

pat sloan said...

I LOVE this quilt!!! I have a collection of fabrics in those colors... now i see what I might do with them to show off the fabric!

And how beautiful your brother sewed the label... does he do binding too.. wink!

Amy said...

This is really fun. And people do underestimate what you can do with a walking foot, don't they? Beautiful!

What Comes Next? said...

A perfect birthday present! I love how you all got involved in making it and it turned out beautifully. I do like that picture of your brother sewing the label on - I wish I had a surgeon for an older brother! The circular quilting is fabulous, as are the colours. Thank you for sharing!

cynthiatreen said...

Beautiful Quilt! I love the spring colors and the lovely design :)

mb. said...

wonderful!

felicity said...

Funny - my last BQF post was about a quilt I made for *my* sister's 40th!

Love this quilt - Chopsticks is definitely on my radar. I agree that the juxtaposition of the modern design and those fabrics is really special. Well done and thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

That's a very fun quilt! I love the picture of your brother sewing on the label! Perfect.

Amanda Jean said...

it's beautiful, Cheryl. love how well the binding worked out with the rest. i love a good find like that!

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic. I love your colors, the improv blocks, and the quilting!

Suzanne said...

Curves & a walking foot--you always have a tip to share. Thank you! Your quilt is definitely one I admire.

Helen said...

I'm 40 on Monday and my sister is busy sewing me something too. Fingers crossed its as lovely as your quilt made!

stitchinpenny said...

I love the colors and the fact that everyone helped to make this gift to welcome you sister to her 40s

Unknown said...

Fantastic Cheryl! I love the colors and chopsticks, and your gently curved quilting is perfect! Happy Belated Birthday to you sister :)

Jen said...

Looks great Cheryl. How did you quilt it? Do you have a name for the "motif"

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Very beautiful and what a great way to show off those gorgeous colors. I have been a green fan all my life; you all show it off perfectly with this creation.

Leanne said...

This is a beautiful quilt and such a thoughtful gift!

Victoria said...

Happy birthday to your sister! The quilt is wonderful and the quilting just right. (Also I think that your brother has beautiful hands!)

PS. A little bird told me that today was YOUR birthday. Hope it's a good one! xo

snore stop said...

! I love how you all got involved in making it and it turned out beautifully. I do like that picture of your brother sewing the label on - I wish I had a surgeon for an older brother. Thanks for sharing.

Vicki said...

Great quilt, Cheryl!

Anderson said...

CurrencyShares Euro Trust (NYSE: FXE) Without even the least knowledge in forex on a small capital you can get started in forex with this new Auto FX Millionaire system working for you. Investmentsg A Place For Investors: Bank Negara Malaysia. Gold Investment to rise 'on fears over inflation' Forex Trading Course; Genneva?s gold scheme draws brickbats & bouquets; Will Gold Go higher Again? Gold as an investment Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. in advance, some, such as Russia, have expressed interest in growing their gold. that will buy personal gold in exchange for cash, or sell investments in gold bullion.